Save the date | Mitigating the effects of climate change in the city – self-sustainable, smart module for urban green infrastructure – Katowice, Poland, 14.09.2023
Institute for Ecology of Industrial Areas, Norwegian Institute of Bioeconomy Research and CommLED Solutions, sp. z.o.o., partners of the project Self-sustainable, Smart Module for City Green Infrastructure In Climate Change Adaptation, invite you to participate in the final conference of the project “Mitigating the effects of climate change in the city - self-sustainable, smart module for urban green infrastructure”, which will be held 14th of September 2023, 9.30-16.00, in Katowice, Kossutha Street 6.
There is not enough greenery in our cities and their inhabitants feel the lack of it more and more. Green roofs and walls are elements of green infrastructure in which native plant species resistant to unfavorable climatic conditions - temperature changes, drought can be used. Additionally, equipping the green infrastructure with a network of sensors, an intelligent irrigation system and powering with photovoltaics allows to reduce the expenditure related to the operation of this infrastructure. Their use may result in cost optimization in a relatively short time, not only financial, but also material and environmental. Such solutions increase the retention of rainwater, thermal insulation of buildings, improve the microclimate and aesthetics of a given place, and thus improve human well-being and the overall assessment of the quality of life in the city.
The conference goal is to provide information on project results and experiences concerning increase urban biodiversity, regulate the urban microclimate, and reduce the cost of maintaining urban greenery. During conference site demonstration of self-sufficient, intelligent module of urban green infrastructure will be presented. In addition, the event provides an excellent opportunity for networking and building a sustainable network of partner and stakeholder organisations.
We welcom representatives of:
- municipalities interested in the topic of green roofs and façades, local government,
- employees, municipal green space management employees, urban gardeners, green space management,
- landscape architects, architects,
- universities, researchers in the fields related to the topic of the MOD4GRIN project
- people interested in the introduction of green in the city, groups of residents.
The event will offer a programme of activities allowing open dialogue, constructive discussion and self-reflection. It will include the following key elements:
- Plenary session
- Site demonstration
- Panel Discussion
- Marta Pogrzeba, PhD, DSc, IETU – Moderator
- Hans Martin Hanslin, PhD, Norwegian Institute of Bioeconomy Research
- Prof. Trygve Aamlid, NIBIO Landvik Station
- Magdalena Biela, M.Sc., Urban Greenery Department in Katowice
- Edyta Sierka, Assoc. Professor PhD DSc University of Silesia in Katowice, Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Audience Q & A
Conference date and venue
14th of September 2023, 9.30-16.00
The Institute for Ecology of Industrial Areas
Kossutha Street 6
The participation in the conference is free. Conference will be provided in English with simultaneous interpretation for Polish.
Project Mod4GrIn has received funding from the "Applied Research" Program implemented under the Norwegian Financial Mechanism 2014-2021 by the National Center for Research and Development.